August is Platypus Month!
What an incredible creature to celebrate.
Unique to Australia, the Platypus is an egg laying mammal, called a monotreme. It spends some of its time on land where it makes a burrow just above the waterline, and the rest of its time in freshwater creeks and streams feeding on insect larvae, freshwater shrimp, tadpoles and worms just to name a few.
- A baby Platypus is called a ‘Puggle’.
- A group of Platypus are called a ‘Paddle’.
- Platypus fur glows blue-green when under Ultraviolet light.
For more information about this intriguing character go to: www.environment.des.qld.gov.au/wildlife/animals/a-z/platypus
To download or print using the above links:
* Planet Designs Kids Free Downloads (on our website) - click the “Planet Designs Kids Free Downloads” link below the colouring activity, it will take you to the free downloads page on our website where you need to put in your email address, don’t worry we won’t spam you, it’s just so you can have free access, click “Continue” and the all of our free colouring activities will be displayed. Click on the page you want, then click “Download”, it will then be saved in your downloads folder where you can print it.
* Pinterest - click the “Pinterest” link below the colouring activity, it will take you to the Planet Designs Kids Pinterest account where you can find the above colouring activity, click the menu button at top of picture (3 dots … ), and select “Download Image”, it will then be saved in your downloads folder where you can print it.