In this months free colouring activity we explore the question of “What trees do, and why we need them”.
We have included images of 12 different trees to colour including: Elm, Maple, Pine, Fir, Birch, Mangrove, Eucalyptus, Apple, Oak, Cedar, Banyan & Tea Tree. Along with each tree is an answer of what trees do and why we need them.
Click the link to download this colouring activity from Planet Designs Kids Planet Designs Kids Free Downloads on our website.
Here are some idea’s on how to extend this colouring activity further:
- Research and discuss how many more benefits trees have?
- Draw up / Print off a table with 5 columns and headings above each column: “Tree Name or Tree Description” (incase you don’t know name yet), “Deciduous”, “Evergreen”, “How Many”, and “Leaf sample”. Take your printed table, a pencil, and a camera and go for a walk around your area to find as many trees as you can. Fill in the details of each tree you find including drawing a leaf sample. You could even draw a map of where each tree can be found around you, and record height estimations, if any animals live in the trees etc. Research any trees you don’t know names of once back at a computer using the photos to help.
- Get outside for a Tree themed scavenger hunt. Can you find: A tree with an animal in/on it? 3 different shaped leaves? Something made out of wood? A tree taller than you / a tree taller than a house? A deciduous tree (loses leaves in Winter)? An evergreen tree (does not lose all its leaves in a season)? A tree with smooth bark? A tree with rough bark? A seed pod/cone/nut from a tree?
- Do some Tree themed experiments. You’ll find instructions on how to do these experiments and many more with a quick search on Google or Pinterest. Try experiments such as: How do leaves breathe? Need a bowl of water and a large leaf. How old was this tree? Need a cut tree trunk or find a living tree that has lost a limb and healed to count the rings. How does liquid move through leaves? A fun way to learn about veins in leaves and how they work like our bodies veins, need fresh green leaves, different coloured food dyes along with bowls/jars of water.
To download or print using the above links:
* Planet Designs Kids Free Downloads (on our website) - click the “Planet Designs Kids Free Downloads” link and it will take you to the free downloads page on our website. Put in your email address and you’ll have free access to all of our free colouring activities. Click “Continue”, then on the page you want click “Download”, and it will then be saved in your downloads folder where you can print it.